General Questions – often asked by prospective visa applicants

Who needs a visa?

All visitors to Australia who are not Australian and New Zealand passport holders must obtain a visa before they travel to Australia.

As a temporary resident, am I entitle to Medicare?

The Australian Government has Reciprocal Health Care Agreements with New Zealand, the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, Sweden, the Netherlands, Finland, Italy, Belgium, Malta, Slovenia and Norway. Passport holders of these countries who visit Australia are entitled to limited medical cover. Click here for more information.

Can I bring my pets to Australia?

The conditions for importing dogs and cats differ depending on the country of origin. Click here for more information.

Are there things that I cannot bring to Australia?

Australia has very strict quarantine regulations to protect our plant, animal and human health and environment. Some goods are banned and some must be declared for inspection. Click here for more information.

What is the weather like in Australia at this time of the year?

Summer: December-February
Autumn: March-May
Winter: June-August
Spring: September-November

The temperature varies in different parts of the country. Click here for more information.

How much money can I take into Australia?

Travellers entering and departing Australia are required to declare any currency they are carrying of $10,000 or more in Australian dollars, or the foreign currency equivalent.

Can I bring my car to Australia?

You can bring your motor vehicle or motor cycle to Australia. Click here for more information.

I am relocating to Australia on a temporary basis,can I buy a property in Australia?

You should contact the Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB). Click here for more information.

How can I find a job in Australia?

There are a number of useful websites that provide information on job opportunities and advertisements:

Australian Job Search


Career One

Do I need to advise the Immigration Department if I change my address?

You must notify the Immigration Department where you intend to live while your application is being processed. If you are going to change your address for more than 14 days you must tell the Department your new address and how long you intend to be there.

Sponsorship Questions – often asked by Australian businesses seeking to sponsor overseas workers


How do I know if a person is entitled to work in Australia?

If the prospective employee is not an Australian or New Zealand citizen, then you must verify whether they hold a valid visa with work rights. This can be done online via the Immigration Department website to check their visa entitlements to determine their work rights.

Call Global Connect on +61 2 8912 2132 if you need any assistance on the online check of work rights of temporary residence holders.

Can I employ someone who has a Subclass 400 visa?

The Temporary Work (Short Stay Activity) (Subclass 400) visa is generally not intended for people to engage in paid employment in Australia, except where paid employment is related to short-term, highly specialised, non-ongoing work in which an Australian citizen or permanent resident is unable to undertake.

Call Global Connect on +61 2 8912 2132 for more information about the Subclass 400 work visa.

Can I employ someone from overseas on a temporary basis?

You can employ someone from overseas if you can satisfy the Immigration Department that you are qualified as a sponsor for Subclass 457 Temporary Work visa and the vacant position is an occupation on the current Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List. The person you wish to employ must also meet the visa requirements including skills, language and experience.

Call Global Connect on +61 2 8912 2132 for more information about the Subclass 457 Temporary Work visa.

Can I employ someone from overseas on a permanent basis?

You may nominate a person to migrate to Australia or remain permanently under the Employer Nomination Scheme. This visa category is intended for positions requiring highly skilled personnel and you are able to demonstrate that you are unable to fill the position locally.

Call Global Connect on +61 2 8912 2132 for more information about the Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) visa.